Saturday, October 31, 2009

We Will Always Bee With You ...

Posted by Hugs, Mal!

It was 10 years ago today that my dear friend Melissa lost her battle to Cystic Fibrosis.

When I started high school I was terrified. I was moving to high school where I didn't get to be with anyone from middle school. I remember walking through the double doors and literally running into Melissa. Although I almost knocked her over, she had this smile on her face and started talking with me. She made me feel so at ease when I was so scared.

Immediately we became friends. She was such an inspiration. She had goals, drive to find a cure and strength when she knew her time was near. She was always smiling and laughing. She fought her disease with bravery and poise! After she passed, our school held a candleight vigil for her in our school gym. I remember so many people were there to pay tribute to her. Later on that day, we went to the courtyard and lit candles with  paper rings around them. They were covered in bumble bee stickers. Melissa loved bumble bee's. The rings also carried the words "We will always bee with you!"


"Remember me and live...
for I am no longer constraint
by an imperfection.
Where I am
I dance, I sing and
I can laugh without coughing.
I breathe without pain.
So live...
When you run a race,
run for me.
When you dance,
think of me,
and when you laugh...
Remember me and be happy."


Poem by Valerie Houghton for Melissa


Miss you always!!!

0 comments: